Thursday, August 03, 2006

People I have felt comfortable around.

I’ve been thinking about the people in my life who have made me feel comfortable and free in my relationship with them. Sometimes I feel that I am being judged or measured up by the people I know. But, there are many people who I have felt free to be openly and honestly me. Here are some of these people.

I remember Eyob. Eyob was by far the most genuine person that I had ever met. What you see is what you get. Eyob was the loveable and friendly guy with an abundance of friends. Yet, even when we couldn’t have been more different, Eyob proudly took me as his friend. He took me to his friends and family and help me up as someone who was a true friend. Eyob is a great influence and blessing to everyone who knows him.

I remember Christina and Peddy. They were associates / friends while I was at uni. Although our cultures differed greatly, I felt very comfortable around them. I could be myself freely. Peddy is an Iranian Muslima. She knew my stance for Christ, yet she happily counted me as a friend. I am grateful for these girls.

And yes, I remember my Zambian mate – David. I felt free to be the annoying person that I sometimes can be around him. If you can still be a friend even after seeing my annoying side, then you are quality.

I think of my family. This is the place where I feel most at home. I have never been judged or condemned for anything that I have ever said or done. I have spoken harshly to them, yet I have never heard a bad word in return. I’ve only received love and acceptance back from them. For this, I am eternally grateful.

And then I think of Gayle – my beautiful fiancée. Her example of acceptance and love is strong. Gayle knows everything about me and she still chooses to marry me and journey with me for life. In Gayle’s company, I experience the meaning of love, forgiveness, and acceptance. Words cannot express my thankfulness.

And then I think of Yahweh. Although I was an enemy of God, a sinner, living for myself in everyway, God chose me and took me as His child. God chose to take me – scars and all – and give me His robe of righteousness. He gave me His only Son to be tormented and spill His blood so that I can be forgiven and accepted. Nothing I had done, and nothing that I could do will ever separate me from the love of Christ. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends (John 15:13). Christ has done this for me. I am eternally grateful. I am eternally His.

There are many others I could mention here, but these are the ones that spring to mind. I don’t have a strong ongoing relationship with some of them, but they are people who at one point in my life made me feel free and accepted to be myself around them.

No comments: