Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Human trade - what can we do?

I was going to give this post a different name - "Hate / Passion / Compassion / Fear". Today I read an article at the Jakarta Post that details how Human Trafficing is a major issue in Indonesia. Human Trafficing is an issue that makes my blood boil. Hearing of the stories of some of the women, children (and boys) who are trafficed across the world for prostitution, sex slavery, and slave labor brings tears to my eyes.

I can honestly say that I hate people who profit from human trafficing. I hate those people who use the services of trafficed human beings. And I hate those who who exploit trafficed human beings. I hate them with a pure hatred. Do you know what these girls suffer? I have had to force myself through the testimony of the humanitarians who have worked to free these girls. These girls are lured from their kampungs (villiages) with promises of work in the city and moeny to send back to their poor struggling families. Rather, they are kidnapped, smuggled abroad and sold as sex slaves. Others are locked in dungeons and used in forced prostitution. They are constantly drugged to numb the pain. The average life span of a girl forced into this work is 14 years.

Here is an extract from the article...

Indonesia is a hub for trafficking. Young local women are often hired under the pretense of overseas employment as domestic workers, only to end up in forced prostitution in Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.

High rates of poverty and unemployment, along with low levels of education, have been blamed for the ease with which people in Indonesia are exploited.

I have strong feelings for Indonesia. I love the Indonesian people, and I would like to help in some way. But what can I do? What can someone from a different culture do? I have a passion:
I want to start a school in Indonesia. I want to provide a safe place for the vulnerable Indonesians to come. A place where they can be accepted, protected, cherished, and grown. I want to be instrumental in making this happen. But what can I do? I have no money? I have no skills in teaching? No social services, limited cultural knowledge? What could I possible do? This is the fear.

Due to underlying religious hostility in Indonesia, it is hard to get humanitarian Visas, and once granted, you are monitored for proseltyzing. Indonesia is majority muslim. But the way that I see it, this is not a muslim issue - it is a human issue. We have an obligation to our neighbours, to protect them from exploitation. To protect and serve the vulnerable. If not a human issue, the disciples of Christ are without excuse - We are commanded to protect the vulnerable. We are commanded to serve them. The Prophets made this clear for us.

So what can I do? I don't know. Pray? Seek? Knock? God, please make a way. Lead me in Your will.

What do I want to say to these girls? You are never dirtied. Though the world exploits you, you will never lose your value in the eyes of God. And because of that, I will never view you as dirty. I will accept you as my own family and in someway, try to show the love of God for you. You are precious in Gods sight.

What do I want to say to the human trafficers, and all those who profit from, or exploit the services of human trafficers? Your days are numbered. God will rip the cover off all iniquity and your blackness will be exposed for all the world to see. Repent and pay restitution while there is still time for you to do so.

What do I want to say to every person who labels them selves as "Christs"? This is YOUR problem. It is not the missionaries, or the Indonesians. It is your problem. If you don't act, who will. Don't use the bullshit excuse that God has not called you to help.
Poverty is your problem. Oppresion is your problem. The poor are your problem. Read the prophets. Read Christs words. You were told to prioritise two things. Love of God and love of others. If you are a follower of Christ, don't you believe that you are to follow Christ? What did Christ say?


and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday. (Isaiah 58:10)

learn to do right!
Seek justice,
encourage the oppressed.
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow. (Isaiah 1:17)


The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed, (Luke 4:18)


I am preaching to myself here as much as anyone else. God help me to stop being selfish. Help me to live beyond myself. Help me to live by example. Help me to be a humble servant of Christ. Like Christ, not viewing myself more highly than I ought to, but to humble myself and be a servant of others. God, may Your kingdom come, and may Your will be done.

No comments: