Friday, December 30, 2005

2005 - My year in summary…

This is my first year out of university. One of my biggest challenges this year is constantly remembering that university was just a stepping stone. I really enjoyed my time at university and the lifestyle that I lived. My schedule was in my hands. The demands were obvious but I could meet those demands how I wanted to. I could study when I studied best (in my case between 11pm and 2am). I could wake up and go to the gym when I wanted. Living was cheap and worries were few. At the end of every year I had peace knowing that I still had ‘next year’ to make things right and to improve. But now I’m out of uni.

I had a shaky start to the year. I left a company that I had been with for 2 years and moved to a mining company. I stayed there for 3 months and moved to my current company – an international engineering company. I have been here now for 8 months. I really enjoy it, especially the people that I come in contact with.

I got engaged to the most beautiful girl. We are planning to marry in September next year in Indonesia. It struck me on Christmas day that this will be the last Christmas that I am a single man. Next year I will be a married man doing married couple stuff.

My Christian walk was shaky at times. I have been battling to maintain control and not slide back to the old and easy way of life. That old way of life is the one that shouts every day “Live for yourself. Be materialistic. Sex is cheap and easy. Work to make a lot of money so that you can have a great lifestyle.” These lies are totally against the plan and will of God for every human life. God calls me (us) to live sacrificial life. To me pure hearted. Loving. Tender. Caring. Always giving. Praying. Blessing. Letting no foul things come out of our mouths. Encouraging others. Being sexually pure (only have sex within the sanctity of marriage). Not to get drunk. Not to be violent. But to always seek justice for the oppressed and to his hands and feet on earth. Showing people that there is more than this life. There is more than what you can touch and feel. Our God is a Holy and righteous God who demands that justice be done. He wants every human in heaven – but this can only happen by repenting of your old way of life and trusting that Jesus Christ has already payed the price for the sins that you and I committed. I want to be a person who preaches this message. This will mean that I will lose friends (which has already happened). People don’t like to be confronted. But it is out of love for people that I preach this message to them. I know that God gives a life much more abundant than that life which they live for themselves.

Anyway, back to the topic…

My Indonesian is steadily progressing. I went to Indonesia for the first time and I liked it. I left Metro and moved to Riverview. I lived in 3 different locations (Student Guild house until February, Applecross until March, and now South Perth until I get married).

My biggest challenge this year is learning that I am a human. I am subject to mistakes. It is pride that causes me to beat myself up so much. I feel that I should be in complete control. I ask myself… how could I do such stupid things? But that is wrong thinking. Every human is subject to similar weakness. We all make mistakes. Repent and move on. It is wrong that I should expect so much from other people. I should not put my confidence in people. I should love them while knowing that they are prone to failure. Only God is fully trustworthy. God is the one who does not change. It is God who needs to be my anchor. Though I am weak, God makes me strong. Without God I (and you) are nothing. He replaces our ashes with crowns. He replaces our sorrow with Joy. God is always faithful and will answer those who love Him and honor Him.

Once again, I’ve gone off topic. Well actually… no. I am right on topic. God is the theme of my daily life. It would be wrong for me to neglect what God is to me when recounting my year. God has been involved in my everyday life. He has lifted me up. He has sustained me. He has given me endless opportunity and ability. He has restored me and He never leaves me.

I like what the psalmist says about God… While King David was envying the gain of the wicked and questioning his own pursuit of righteousness, he came to an understanding that the wicked have only one end. After this realisation he said “I was like a brute beast before you God. But nevertheless you are still with me. You hold me by my right hand”.

A flood of Gods Spirit is going throughout the earth. God is doing something amazing in the hostile lands. Christianity is growing in China, Indonesia, Africa, the Middle East. We are living in the greatest times ever.

Next year I hope to grow more in every area. I hope to be an expert in my work. I hope to quickly advance in bahasa Indonesia. I hope to build stronger relationships with those around me. I want to be someone who people can turn to knowing that I will be a true friend to them. I want to improve relationships within my family. I want to grow closer with Gayle everyday. I want to build my relationship with God everyday. I want to put Him first. I want every decision to be made with a deep awareness of God. I want to show more people that truly Christ saves.

God bless you all.

No comments: