Thursday, January 03, 2008

Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

I wrote this blogpost one week ago but didn't post it because I still hadn't decided how I feel about the whole thing. Sure I am saddened, but I didn't know enough of the context to articulate my thoughts in a meaningful manner. First, the following two paragraphs contain my original thoughts, and then this link will take you to a good post by author Brian McLaren called Mourning Benazir Bhutto.

Pakistani former Prime Minister and advocate for democracy - Benazir Bhutto - was assassinated yesterday. This was a sad day for Pakistan. I have been casually following the Bhutto story since she returned from self-imposed exile 2 months ago. There have been attempts on her life since she returned to Pakistan, and she knew the risk of continuing her mission. She had the opportunity to remain in the comfort and luxury of the West, but her desire for the people of Pakistan was stronger than her fear of death.

Benazir Bhutto (June 21, 1953 - December 27, 2007)

Let's take the time to remember other martyrs who have died or are currently staring in the face of injustice as they seek a better, more humane life for their people, especially Aung San Suu Kyi (the Burmese peace activist) and all the men and women of peace in their own neighbourhoods and the slums around the world fighting to give people the dignity and respect that we all deserve. I'm sure there is a great difference between those fighting for democracy and those fighting against injustice in the name of Christ, but let's never underestimate the noble sacrifices made by people who are willing to give up their life for the hope of a better, safer world.

No comments: