Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Articles of the week

Weekly, I come across very interesting articles written by an assortment of people in our global society from professionals, missionaries, activists, etc. Some of these articles help me alot in my journey. My knowledge is constantly expanding due to the great research and thinking that these writers have done.

So, I thought that I will post a weekly list of the best articles that I read each week. Let me start with this one - "Hybridity or The Third Space and How Shall We Describe the Kingdom of God". This article, written by Dr Jonathon Ingleby (Head of Mission Studies, Redcliffe College) has some interesting insights into our current culture, and how cultural identity is established. I have not fully read this article yet, but plan to on my trip home from work this evening.

Dr Ingleby poses this question: "Is it really possible to build identities beyond cultural and national boundaries?" It is a good question, and a good article, particularly for those people, like myself who are not part of any particular ethnic group, but mix. Am I Australian, or am I Portuguese? Or am I the culture that I spend most of my time with (Indonesians/Filipinos)? Or am I neither? Although I can identify with these cultures, I do not feel at home in any of them.

If you read this article, I would like to know your thoughts.

No comments: