Sunday, March 19, 2006

On the United States new found interest in Indonesia...

I began writing my thoughts and opinions tonight about Americas new found interest in Indonesia. I am very sceptical that the great collonialist cowboy now wants to extend a hand of help to Indonesia. I am sceptical for 3 reasons:

  1. America knows that there is Oil & Gas in this country
  2. America knows that they need military support in this region with the current China situation
  3. America knows that they need the support of Indonesian Muslims to win the "war on terror".

I feel that America only has America's interests in mind here. Ofcourse many great things will happen for Indonesia once America comes along side. Condoleeza Rice promised that America would invest heavily in the Indonesian education system. That alone is the number one reason to partner with the US. Indonesia needs to increase its standard of education. The number one fault of this country is the number one cause of suffering for it's citizens - Many Indonesians are not educated past primary school because they can not afford it.

This lack of education is the reason behind corruption here. This lack of education is a key contributing factor to terrorism here.

I stopped writing my thoughts and opinions because it weighed heavily on the negative side. While I still hold these thoughts and opinions, I so strongly want to see the standard of living for Indonesians increase, that I will refrain from snarling at the hand that can make that happen... for now.

No comments: