Monday, March 13, 2006

Jakarta - Day 9

Last time I went back to Perth from Jakarta I ended up with various ailments for 4 weeks. First I had a problem with my knees which the doctor thinks is to do with the food that I eat. So in an attempt to make the problem go away or prevent it from getting worse I hardly ate anything for 2 weeks. When my knees got better I came down with a flu and had no appetite for another week. In the fourth week some wierd virus caused a rash over my whole body and I had swelling in my feet and hands. Once again, I had no appetite. During this time I lost about 5 kg's or more and it was noticeable.

So my goal while I am here is to put on 5 kg's. It is not hard to do. First off, my company pays for all of my food. I get a $100 per day cash advance. Combined with the fact that food is extremely cheap here - I eat! If I want to eat an average priced meal (something that the average Indonesian would eat) I would pay around Rp18000 (about $2.10 Australian). I could even get cheaper food if I didn't mind diahorea. But for me, most of my meals cost about Rp80,000. The meals are restaurant quality and besides being exceptionally tasty and filling, the surroundings are really nice. The cafes and restaurants here are really up market. I have never seen restaurants in Perth with this quality service, decor, and food. It costs equivelant of $12 Australian, but if purchased in Australia would cost about $30+.

The most popular coffee shop here is Star Bucks. It is quite pricey also. Rp25,000 for a grande flat white that tastes like crap. I really don't like Star Bucks. If it weren't for the ambience, Star Bucks would have nothing going for it. Mind you, I have not tried one of their Ice drinks - I here they are pretty good. I usually get my coffee from Coffee Bros in Kemang.

I am learning alot of Indonesian now from listening to songs. The music sticks in my head and I repeat the lyrics all day. Then I learn what the lyrics are saying. I wrote in a previous post about the impact that music has on me. Some of the first Indonesian that I learnt was this -

satu, dua, tiga, empat, lima, enam, tujuh, delapan. (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)
siapa rajin ke sekolah (who is keen to go to school)
cari ilmu sampai dapat (to look for knowledge until he gets)
Sungguh senang (really happy)
Amat senang (very happy)
Bangun pagi-pagi sungguh senang. (I get up every morning really happy)

Bangun tidur ku terus mandi. (Having got up I take a bath straight away)
Tidak lupa menggosok gigi (I dont forget to brush my teeth)
habis mandi ku tolong ibu (after taking a bath I help my mother)
Membersihkan tempat tidur ku. (to make my bed)

Hey, as I type this I just spoke with Melody. Shes my really cool friend who is in Sydney now and attending CCC Oxford falls. She's a great gal with alot of spark. She calls me and Gayle her Family hehehe. Shes off to Germany for one month in June. Just thought Id mention that.

Hmm thats about it. Talk with yall some more later.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Aku tahu. My problem is not with the kopi beans. Kamu tahu that my favourite kopi bean is Sumatra. Itu yang orang2 who make the coffee. It seems like there are no trained baristers di sini.